(Picture Mr. Rogers singing: “Won’t you be my neighbor?”)
Several weeks ago I was talking to my parents on Skype when we suddenly had the brilliant idea to jump on Google maps as a way to use their satellite imagery to show my parents the physical layout of where I am now living in Pretoria North as an Apprentice with NieuCommunities South Africa until late November this year. We had a blast trying to stay on the same (literal) page, clicking left/right/up/down/east/west etc for almost an hour. In the end, I had shown them the bunch of trees under which I lived, the local high school, the white roof of the first gym (Virgin Active) I have EVER belonged to in my almost 30-years of life, local haunts throughout downtown Pretoria, and even the Block that I am doing mission within in Soshanguve! It was wild to say the least.
One thing led to the next, and as I have been (too slowly) working on a massive update to send out to friends, families, and donors, I created:
A (GOOGLE MAPS) TOUR OF PRETORIA!!!
I’m stealing a bit of my own thunder, as this is coming out in a newsletter update soon(ish), but this simply couldn’t wait, so follow these simple steps to take a tour with me (via Google’s greatness).
- Open your Web browser and type in http://maps.google.com.
- Search in the Maps function for “A (Google Maps) Tour of Pretoria.”
- My created journey for you will pop up as the top search result, so click on that.
- Adjust your map settings to SATELLITE imagaery (not map view), and click the + BUTTON until you are 2 clicks from the top.
- Enjoy my rambly comments…